FEAR

Forgetting Everything And Run..... Or...... Face Everything And Rise!

Isaiah 41:10New King James Version (NKJV)

10 Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’


Thursday, September 25, 2014

Treatments for Depression

There are a number of ways to treat depression.  I have found that these things help me when I get depressed; anti-depressants, healthy diet, exercise, prayer, gratitude, and counseling or talking to friends.   I caution a totally natural approach for treating clinical depression.  If it works for you that is great but don’t be afraid to try medication.  Whatever makes you feel normal is what you need.  If you take an anti-depressant and feel a little woozy or 'out of body', 'disconnected', then you are either on the wrong drug or the wrong dosage.   I took Wellbutrin several years ago and later when I had another bout with depression, I tried it and the side effects were terrible.  That is when I switched to Cymbalta which worked great.  Folic acid has been said to help anti-depressants work more effectively.  I have started taking this to see if it makes a difference.  It does seem to help.

Medication works for me with very little side affect.  My head does feel clearer when I am off of it but when needed, it works great. Weigh the pros and cons of taking medication.  If the benefit is greater than the side effects, you should consider staying on it.  It is a personal choice.  Remember, you are treating an illness which should be treated as you would any other illness.  You will know when the medicine starts to work.  For me, it is like a switch that goes on and I feel back to normal, dread is lifted, decisions are easy, and I am able to laugh again, even at myself!  There are several medical conditions associated with depression as well such as low thyroid and hormonal changes in the body.  Your doctor can run tests to check for these conditions.

Exercise is an important part of helping the medications work to their full potential.  A brisk walk or bike ride is a great way to do something for the depression and yourself.  Remember to be grateful and reach out to others.  Having a Christian counselor to talk to has helped me immensely.  I encourage you to do the same.  Getting to the root of the problem that may be causing the depression and letting God renew your mind to His ways will renew your spirit and will allow you to experience His love for you. 

In life, we can get beaten up by those believing that they love us but show it in such a way that damages our spirit and our soul.  When we grow up without a loving parent to show us the affection that we expect from a parent, we believe there is something we must have done to cause this.  This can be traumatic to a child unable to understand the why, especially to little girls without a father’s love.  It usually spills over into the men they choose in their life as well.  God can renew our minds to help us heal from this.  Realizing that He is a father that can give us so much more than our earthly father could ever think of can help ease the pain.  I pray you can see Him as your Heavenly Father that loves you more than you can imagine.

Blessings to you on your journey,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment